Job Title: Assistant Library Director
Organization: Union County College
Location: Cranford, New Jersey 07016,
The Assistant Director assists the Director in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing a balanced program of library services for the students, faculty, and administration of Union County College. Assist the Director in maintaining and developing the Libraries as a resource for student success.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate hours, staffing and scheduling for all branches
- Supervise Circulation staff; assist Head of Acquisitions and Head of Technical Services and Systems in supervising the Acquisitions and Technical staff and operations
- Develop and oversee circulation policies, procedures and operations
- Develop and update collection and service policy statements as needed
- Consult with Library constituencies to improve Library collections and services
- Develop policies and procedures for automated library information system in coordination with Head of Technical Services and Systems
- Liaise with Public Safety to resolve security incidents and maintain safety of library environment
- Communicate with Facilities regarding maintenance and physical plant issues
- Work with Head of Technical Services and Systems to generate reports
- Oversee hiring process for support staff
- Coordinate projects among Librarians
- Participate in Library reference and instruction programs
- Assist in developing Library website
- Act as liaison to one or more academic departments
- Recommend materials for purchase
- Coordinate Library signage, printing and publications
- Process donated materials
- Serve on college committees, attend professional and other meetings as
- Other duties as assigned by the Director
MLS degree from ALA-accredited program required.
Competencies and Skills required:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Desire to serve the patron base.
- Commitment to affirmative action and to working with a diverse staff and user community.
- This positions duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
- Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Some travel required.
Union County College is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to maintaining an academic and work environment for students, faculty and staff which is conducive to the achievement of educational and career goals on the basis of ability and performance, and which is free of discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, religion, or marital status.
Full time. Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off- campus sites as needed by the college. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.
Application Information:Applications will only be accepted on our website by visiting:
When applying, please mention that you saw this ad on LISjobs.com.