Job Title: HEAD, LIBRARY SYSTEMS & TECHNOLOGY APPLICATIONS
Organization: University of the Pacific
Location: Stockton, California,
Description: The University of the Pacific seeks a forward-thinking, innovative, results-oriented leader for the position of Head, Systems & Technology Applications. Reporting to the Assistant Dean of the University Library, this position is responsible for the overall coordination of systems and technology applications services for the University of the Pacific University Library. This position blends a user-oriented approach with a commitment to exploration of new technologies to support a variety of service platforms and applications and to develop and expand the University Library’s systems and technology applications program. As part of the Access & Discovery Services Division of the University Library, the Systems & Technology Applications Unit supports the University Library’s network infrastructure, staff and public computer equipment and software, databases and applications, the University Library’s discovery service (POUNCE), online catalog (PacifiCat), digital collections, and web environment as well as the Information Commons and the Multimedia Studio.
• Develops and implements the overall direction and resulting priorities, goals, and objectives for University Library systems and technology services in consultation with University Library Administration;
• Actively participates in the development of the University Library’s online presence and the electronic services and applications that extend University Library information services, and research assistance beyond the physical building;
• Provides leadership and direction for all aspects (public and technical) of the University Library’s Information Commons and Multimedia Studio programs;
• Manages 3 full-time employees by providing supervision, mentoring, and training to maintain a competent and productive staff, working closely with University Library departments and programs to manage staff policies and procedures related to technology within the University Library;
• Actively maintains current knowledge and expertise in information technology trends and cultivates an understanding of the strategic role of information technology within academic libraries;
• Working with the Assistant Dean, develops and implements the unit’s strategic plan and is responsible for the planning and management of the University Library’s technology budget;
• Collaboratively develops strategies and implements and supports projects that advance the creation and integration of online information services and digital collections to meet the academic and research needs of University students, faculty and staff;
• Serves as the University Library liaison to and, establishes and maintains effective partnerships with, the University Office of Information Technology (OIT) and the information technology staff across the University’s three campuses to ensure successful integration and utilization of University technology in the University Library;
• Supports University Library staff use of campus central information technology resources (email, Outlook Calendar, etc.) by monitoring functionality, assisting with problem reports, and providing feedback to OIT and other campus resource support groups as needed;
• Collaborates and actively participates in local, regional, national, or international organizations regarding related issues;
• Serves on/participates in University and University Library committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate;
• Engages in scholarly/creative/professional activity as appropriate.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science or demonstrated equivalent gained through experience in an academic library;
• Minimum of three years significant and progressively responsible management experience in an academic library in a technical setting;
• Substantial knowledge and experience with integrated library systems (ILS);
• Experience planning, implementing, managing and supporting online services and collections including Open URL resolvers, institutional repositories, electronic resource management systems, OCLC and resource sharing systems;
• Working knowledge of PC and Macintosh desktop and network operating systems, including familiarity with server administration, Unix/Linux, Oracle and SQL database environments;
• Commitment to providing high-quality information technology services within a flexible and continually evolving academic library environment;
• Demonstrated experience with mobile devices, social networking, and other new technology applications and their use and potential for the delivery of library resources and services;
• Successful supervisory experience as evidenced by in-depth knowledge and understanding of technical staff supervision, demonstrated success in effective leadership, and the ability to promote teamwork and professional development;
• Ability to manage time and multiple projects in a changing environment with a positive, flexible, and innovative attitude as evidenced by creative problem-solving skills, excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work cooperatively and foster teamwork;
• Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a multicultural setting and a deep commitment to supporting and promoting diversity.
• Experience with the Aleph ILS, ILLiad, or EBSCO products and services;
• Experience with cloud-based computing solutions and services, content management systems, LDAP and/or remote patron authentication (EZProxy);
• Experience in web design and/or web application development.
Self-assurance and flexibility to find one’s feet quickly and keep one’s balance performing a wide range of activities. Someone will be happiest at the University of the Pacific and at the University Library if they are an energetic, committed pitcher-in; if they do not wait for others to define their role, stand on ceremony, or assume a strict construction of their responsibilities; and if they have a broad range of intellectual interests.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Salary from mid-$50s, negotiable depending upon experience;
• Twenty-four days vacation, 15 holidays/seasonal days; excellent support for professional development; TIAA-CREF retirement; tuition remission; and other generous benefits.
The University of the Pacific is an independent coeducational institution with 6400 students and 440 full-time instructional faculty, with campuses in Stockton, San Francisco, and Sacramento. Academic programs include the Liberal Arts and Sciences and eight professional schools: Business, Conservatory of Music, Dentistry (San Francisco), Education, Engineering, International Studies, Law (Sacramento) and Pharmacy and Health Sciences (including Dental Hygiene, Physical Therapy, and Speech Language Pathology). Doctoral programs are offered in chemistry, education, and pharmacy. The University of the Pacific’s Stockton campus has been recently ranked as the fifth most beautiful campus in the nation.
The University Library has a $3.1M budget , a 28-member staff, over 425,000 volumes, and provides access to over 1,200 electronic journal titles and 183 databases . The University Library’s staff and librarians value flexibility and dedication to excellence, resulting in a strong reputation on campus for excellent customer service. It is known world-wide as the home of distinctive special collections, including the John Muir Collection and the Dave Brubeck Living Archive. For more information, please visit: http://library.pacific.edu
The University of the Pacific is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to broadening the diversity of its workforce. All applications and résumés are welcome. All applicants must submit the EEO personnel form located (located at http://go.pacific.edu/eeo-form).
Application Information:Apply online by submitting application materials including letter of application, resume, and the name, address, and contact information of four current references, including current supervisor, to Sally DeLorenzo, Administrative Assistant, University Library, University of the Pacific, firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority will be given to applications received by 3/29/13. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
When applying, please mention that you saw this ad on LISjobs.com.